Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Sleeptime Marathon

A coincidence, but he's obviously communicating that it's bedtime!

As with every evening, baby does his Marathon Nursing sessions each night before he finally gets down to rest for the night. For those new mothers, do note, it IS normal for a baby to nurse very frequently and even seemingly non-stop in the evening hours. They are essentially tanking up their little tummies as they ready themselves for a longer stretch of night-sleep.

As the non-stop nursing leaves me rather much an invalid for that part of the day, I would plan not to do much for those few hours.

To cope, I would eat dinner early, bathe quickly and change after an early evening walk with baby and be ready to simply "veg-out" in front of the TV in my bedroom by 7+pm. I would also prepare 2 mugs/tumblers of drink on my bedside table to keep myself hydrated. Then I would just watch TV programmes or read while he nurses. He would usually finally get to deep sleep by 9pm or so. Some nights, it does get quite neverending and last until 10 or even 11pm! Do prepared for this and plan to basically do nothing much but relax at this time of the night when you have a newborn or young baby.

When would a baby outgrown the evening marathon nursing pattern? Seriously, I don't remember. *haha* It will eventually!

No comments: