JR is 8weeks old now. Was really tired this morning. Went out with baby to the shop for some groceries that we ran out of, and when I came home, I just fell asleep sitting on the bed with baby still in the pouch. I was happy to leave him attached to me still in the pouch since he looked so contentedly asleep and I desperately needed some shuteye.I was unfortunately down with stomach flu the day before with high fever. Thankfully, the fever subsided by morning, but I was nevertheless weak and rest was something I couldn't get enough of with this baby and the older ones to care for.
I continued breastfeeding the baby, even when I was sick. This is the added protection I can provide Baby JR. As my body fights and heals, it creates antibodies. These are passed through breastmilk, which the baby will benefit from. This will help lessen his chance of getting the same illness. There is thus really no reason to stop breastfeeding even when Mom is sick.
The crucial question that some mothers would have is when doctors order them to be on medication. For breastfeeding mothers, do always let the doctor know that you are breastfeeding. In most cases, there are breastfeeding-compatible medication. Do note not to take antibiotics lightly though. If your doctor feels that you should be put on a course of antibiotics, do at the same time strengthen your body with probiotics ; as antibiotics do tend to alter your intestinal flora, and also that of your breastfed baby, and puts both of you at risk of getting thrush if probiotics are not used to balance.
So, do remember, there's no need to stop breastfeeding when you are sick. Just try and rest together with baby, or if there is someone to care for baby while you rest, that'd be even better! And don't forget to load up on fluids!
No comments:
Post a Comment