Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Aloe Vera & Breastfeeding

It was reported in the Sunday Times (2 Oct)that pregnant & nursing mothers should
avoid aloe vera.

A netsearch revealed this:
http://au.health.yahoo.com/041101/25/1uk6.html?r=967673075

Aloe Vera should not be taken by women during pregnancy or while breastfeeding as it may cause uterine contractions which could induce labour. A woman taking Aloe vera whilst breastfeeding can pass it onto her child as it is excreted into breast milk. The aloe may be too harsh on the immature digestive system of the infant which can result in nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea.

Information shared...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you’re all enjoying it! As for the aloe I buy 100% pure aloe as well, and I keep it in the fridge. Like I said before, I have never had a problem, and I always keep mine in a jar, too. It is way to thick to put in a pump. I like to use amber or cobalt colored jars to keep the sunlight out. I’ll have to look into the aloe issue some more!